We are very excited to announce the launch of the HearGlueEar app which is now FREE for families to download and use through the Apple App store. Click here to download now. If you do not have an apple device you can register to the web app and select whether you are a clinician or a parent/carer. Click here to access webapp. You can download flyers and leaflets in our downloadable resources section of our website.
FOR CLINICIAN ACCESS PLEASE NOTE:
If you are a clinicial you should be using the web app to sign up CLICK HERE to open. It may take a bit of time to load so please be patient. You can register as a clinician and from there have the option to add patients, upload sample and practice videos. Please note that to manage patients there is no clinician signup option on the mobile app currently. If you have accidentally signed up on the mobile app you cannot sign up with the same email address to the webapp so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org where we can either delete the incorrect registration or transfer your access over to change you from parent/carer to clinician. Please see this video to help you set up your clinical account.
The HearGlueEar app has been designed for children experiencing hearing loss due to glue ear. You will need to register your and your childs’ details before being able to access the app. In the app you will find a host of songs, games and audiobooks created especially for the app to support a child with glue ear.
- Help the child’s development during the ‘watchful waiting’ period of glue ear management
- Provide families with up-to-date glue ear information and useful links , especially as Trusts become paperless.
- Allow parents to effectively self manage their child’s condition between appointments
- collect feedback about a hospital clinical service
- it received a high Orcha medical App assessment score (available here for iOS: https://appfinder.orcha.co.uk/review/184372/, for Android: https://appfinder.orcha.co.uk/review/172064/
- It was given Children’s app of the Year award in 2019 by the UK app awards https://www.eahsn.org/news/2019/11/local-glue-ear-innovation-wins-childrens-app-of-the-year/
- Any patient data collected is held on hospital servers and is of course GDPR compliant.
- it has been clinically assessed with families in 2019 in an ethically approved study aiming to be published autumn 2020.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE VOLUME
It is important to make sure that the child using this app is listening at an appropriate volume. If the volume is too high this may lead to further hearing loss and damage to the inner ear, if the volume is too low the child will not be able to hear the content and will not get all the benefits of the app. Please take some time to optimise the volume with the child using the app before allowing them to use it.
Glue ear can worsen and improve over time, so the appropriate volume to listen at may also change over time. Regularly review what volume the child is listening at and make adjustments as necessary.
Despite the hearing loss your child is currently experiencing the mechanisms in their ears are still sensitive and can be damaged.